Blackberry and Pear Cake
Using ProGel® colours
YOU WILL NEED
To Make The Sponge Cakes
- 150c Fan/ 300f
- 5 Eggs - beaten lightly
- 275g / 10oz self raising flour
- 275g / 10oz butter
- 275g /caster sugar
- Rainbow Dust Colours, ProGel® - Purple and Olive Green
- Blackberry flavouring
YOU WILL NEED
- 1kg softened butter
- 2kg icing sugar
- Rainbow Dust Colours, ProGel® Purple and Olive Green
- 1 ripe pear- peeled and finely chopped
YOU WILL NEED
- 170c fan / 325f
- 110g butter diced
- 80g rolled oats
- 90g light brown sugar
- 80g plain flour
- 19cm round shallow cake tins
- Wilton tube No. 406
- Blackberries and Pears for decoration
- Place the butter and sugar into a bowl and cream until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and flour a little at a time and mix until combined.
- Split the mix in half and using the ProGel, colour one half Olive Green and one half Purple, flavouring the purle half using the blackberry flavouring, adding a little at time.
- Grease the tins and line with a circle of greaseproof paper and place 180g of mix in each tin, bake for approx 10mins and repeat with the remaining mix until you have 3 green and 3 purple sponges, wash the re- grease the tins each time. Leave to cool completely.
- Place all the ingredients for the crumble into a bowl and rub together until the mix starts to clump together, spread out onto a greased baking tray and bake for approx 10 mins until crunchy. Leave to cool.
- Place the softened butter and icing sugar into the bowl of a food mixer and slowly mix at first until all the icing sugar is combined, then beat until the buttercream is light and fluffy.
- Take out a small amount to fill the cakes and place in two separate bowls, colour one purple and one olive green adding the chopped pear to the green portion.
- Colour the remaining buttercream Olive Green. Place the piping tube into a large plastic piping bag and fill with the plain Olive Green buttercream. Leave to one side until needed.
- Place first green sponge in the centre of your cake stand, then spread a thin layer of the buttercream flavoured with pear and place a purple layer of sponge on the top, pressing down gently. Add a thin layer of purple buttercream and top with a green layer of sponge. Repeat until all the sponges have been used, leaving the top with no buttercream. Then apply a thin layer of plain green buttercream all over the top and sides. Place in the fridge to firm for approx 30mins.
- Using a ruler mark lines from bottom to top on the sides of the cake appox 2.5 cm apart.
- Starting at the bottom of each marked line and making sure that the wider part of the piping tube is closest to the cake, pipe a zig zag no wider than the lines marked all the way up the cake keeping the pressure even at all times. Continue all the way round the cake.
- For the top decoration, pipe around the edge, using the same tube but piping one continuous line, ruffling as you work. Go around the edge of the cake working inwards about 4 times.
- Fill in the centre with the crumble and place around the base of the cake and decorate using fresh blackberries and a fanned pear.